Carlson McCain is seeking a Staff Hydrogeologist to perform a variety of field and office tasks supporting work involving geologic and hydrogeologic characterization, water appropriation design and permitting, contaminated site investigation and remediation, groundwater monitoring, data analysis, and reporting.
This position will be based out of our Plymouth, Minnesota office but can accommodate occasional remote work. The role will frequently require working outside at a field site, as needed, and will require some overnight travel. Travel is anticipated primarily within Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and potentially other midwestern states, and overnight travel time is not expected to exceed 25%. The position may require the occasional use of an employee’s vehicle to travel to and from project sites. In such instances, the Company will provide reimbursement for work-related mileage.
- Perform soil boring logging, including soil classification and sample collection.
- Provide oversight, direction, and documentation during the installation of groundwater monitoring wells, water supply wells, soil vapor probes, etc.
- Install, utilize, and maintain instrumentation including pressure transducers, pumps, water level meters, water quality meters, etc.
- Conduct sampling of various environmental media including soil, groundwater, surface water, soil gas, and solid waste.
- Provide oversight and documentation during site investigation, development, and/or remediation.
- Conduct GPS surveying and staking.
- Compile and organize field and laboratory data and utilize electronic database systems.
- Review data for compliance with applicable rules and standards.
- Work closely with senior technical staff on data analysis and interpretation including geospatial and statistical analysis, groundwater flow and contaminant fate, and transport modeling.
- Prepare written technical reports and supporting exhibits including summary tables and figures.
- Communicate and collaborate with clients, contractors, laboratories, regulators, etc.
- Perform additional field and office tasks as may be assigned by senior staff.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Hydrogeology, Geology, Environmental Engineering, or related discipline.
- 1 to 5 years experience in hydrogeology and environmental services.
- Strong analytical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Familiarity and experience with aquifer analysis and groundwater fate and transport and modeling and analysis programs such as AQTESOLV, MODFLOW, and related applications.
- Experience with GIS software and mapping applications.
- Good time management and ability to track hours for a variety of projects.
- Clean driving record, and able to drive a company vehicle as necessary.
- Geologist-in-training certification or related certification, which will lead to a state professional licensure as a geologist, hydrogeologist, or related profession.
- 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and current refresher.
- Experience with groundwater monitoring system design and data analysis.
- Experience with water supply development, and wellhead protection planning.
- Familiarity with the environmental site assessment process (i.e. Phase I/II ESAs).
- Familiarity with groundwater remediation technologies.
Carlson McCain, Inc. is a full-service consulting firm specializing in environmental, engineering, and land surveying services. We provide a great working environment, excellent benefits, and pay commensurate with skills. Carlson McCain is an equal-opportunity employer.