Carlson McCain is seeking a Civil/Environmental Engineering Technician to perform a variety of activities supporting civil engineering and environmental engineering projects throughout North Dakota.
The primary duties will include performing construction quality assurance (CQA) work in the field during the construction season and performing civil technology work in the office during the remainder of the year. The position may also involve sampling of various environmental media (soil, water, air), construction staking using GPS survey equipment, and corresponding with clients, contractors, vendors, etc., among other tasks. Much of the work will support projects related to engineered containment facilities such as landfills, surface impoundments, etc.
This position is based out of our Bismarck, North Dakota office. During field projects, the job will require extensive time out of the office and may require out-of-town travel as dictated by the construction site location and schedule.
- Provide full-time, on-site presence and oversight of construction activities.
- Observe and document daily activities performed by contractors, and maintain communication with engineers, contractors, and owner.
- Interpret construction documents and monitor construction activities to ensure compliance with project specifications.
- Conduct GPS surveying and staking.
- Perform CAD drafting and/or GIS mapping.
- Conduct sampling of soils, groundwater, surface water, soil gas, and landfill gas.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A two-year civil technology degree or previous construction inspection or related experience (e.g. materials testing, surveying, etc.) is preferred.
- General knowledge and understanding of civil construction methods and materials, including the ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications is preferred.
- Ability to work independently under the supervision of professional engineering staff, and communicate effectively with clients, contractors, and coworkers (written and verbal).
- Capable of working long days, non-traditional work weeks, outdoor working conditions.
- Ability to occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
- Health, Dental, Eye, and Life insurance, Retirement Plan and 401k Match, minimum of 3 weeks PTO, 7 Company paid Holidays, and more!
Carlson McCain is an equal-opportunity employer. To apply, please visit our website at carlsonmccain.com/company/careers.