Burnsville Sanitary Landfill is a 200-acre-plus disposal facility for municipal solid waste, industrial waste, and demolition/construction debris, operating in the City of Burnsville since the 1960s. After completing two previous landfill expansions, the second of which was designed and permitted by Carlson McCain in the mid-2000s, the facility is nearing total capacity. Therefore, Carlson McCain has been retained again to provide engineering/environmental services for an expansion project to extend the life of the facility. The project is currently in progress.
- Prepared an application and received approval for a Concept-Stage Planned Unit Developed with the City of Burnsville.
- Performed detailed engineering design to modify the facility footprint, maximize expansion capacity, and address geotechnical, liner design, stormwater control, phasing, final cover, and other technical issues.
- Prepared permit drawings and specifications.
- Prepared a permit application, including reports and documents such as an engineering report, operations plan, closure/post-closure care plan, contingency action plan, and emergency response plan.
- Negotiated a scoping decision document for environmental review with the MPCA.
- Prepared a draft supplemental environmental impact statement (DSEIS) addressing issues such as groundwater, liner/leachate collection system, surface water, air quality, visual impacts, and alternatives.
Client: Waste Management Solutions
For related content, check out our From the Field page.